Before My Surgery
The center’s pre assessment nurse will contact you by telephone before your scheduled surgery to compile a short medical history and answer any questions you may have regarding your upcoming surgical procedure.
Please call the pre assessment nurse at the surgery center at 401-243-0022 the business day before surgery to verify your surgery time, there may be scheduling changes, which could affect the time of your arrival.
Careful attention to the following instructions will help ensure your comfort and reduce the possibility of complications. Failure to comply may cause your surgery to be postponed or cancelled.
Food and Drink
Please do not eat or drink any milk products or food after midnight the day prior to surgery.
You should have a light supper, and fluids are allowed until midnight. You may have clear liquids (black coffee, tea, apple juice or soda) until four hours before your surgery.
Do not drink alcohol for at least 12 hours before your arrival.
No smoking after midnight the night before your surgery.
Makeup, Nail Polish, Jewelry (including body jewelry)
Please remove all these items before surgery.
Wear loose, casual, comfortable clothing to fit over dressings.
Please leave valuables at home.
Notify The Center & Your Surgeon If:
- You have an elevated temperature, cough, cold, vomiting or diarrhea between your last visit to the surgeon and the day of your surgery.
- You suspect you may be pregnant.
- You are taking: diet pills, aspirin, ibuprofen, or certain herbal medicines. You may need to stop taking these 1-2 weeks before your surgery. You can discuss this with your surgeon.
What You Need The Day Of The Surgery:
- Information To Bring: Insurance cards, photo ID, Medicare or Medical Assistance information, numbers and addresses.
- Driver: You must plan to have someone drive you home. Do not plan to use taxis or other public transportation.
- Escort: A friend, relative or dedicated caregiver MUST stay with you for 24 hours.
- Legal Guardian: A legal guardian must be in the center AT ALL TIMES for children and dependent adults.
- Care For Children: If you have young children at home for whom you normally care for, plan for someone else to care for them for at least the first 24 hours following your surgery.
- Interpreter: If the patient cannot read, speak English or use sign language, and interpreter is required. If you need assistance arranging for an interpreter, please contact the Pre Assessment Nurse at 401-243-0022 as soon as possible.